Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Very Happy with House - posted by Harry

I'm mildly ashamed at the amount of time that's passed since my last entry. First there was the house closing and moving, the packing and unpacking, and more unpacking, and cleaning, and did I mention more unpacking? We're not completely out of the woods yet. Then I anticipated work would be getting easier, but in fact it has gotten worse, and so it goes.... Enough carping for now.

The House (with a capital "H") is wonderful. It felt so much like being home, so quickly. Sally and I have a few projects that we're excited about, and there is some electrical upgrades to be done, but overall it feels extremely large and comfortable, it's in a great neighborhood with fine old houses and very friendly neighbors, and even the 1 Brussels-Griffon/Mini-Schnauzer, the 2 cats, and 3 birds seem pleased.

Sally and I did overlook one small detail. On the penultimate night of moving, Sally called me from the house as I was out foraging for Chinese food and told me that we did not have a Dishwasher! Huh? I was stunned. For all the snooping around and inspecting we'd done (not to mention the legal documents like seller's disclosure agreement) how did we miss a modern amenity like a dishwasher? We've since procured what looks like a good one for only $100. (Thanks Craigslist!) and we have an electrician ready to install a line. We will probably redo our counter top and we have to modify cabinets and then we can maybe install the dishwasher ourselves.

We also discovered that the clothes dryer did not work, but that has already been taken care of. I think one can get by without a dishwasher longer than a clothes dryer.

All in all, the house has so many nice features that new used appliances don't seem to be a very big trade-off.

My second oldest son is out of college for the summer and staying with Sally and I in our finished attic. I hope he enjoys his time here. My oldest son graduated college on Sunday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment