Sunday, July 18, 2010

I Am Love

A while back Harry and I resolved to post about movies we saw. We haven't, largely because we don't go out to the movies much - there is so depressingly little to lure us out and away from evenings of Netflix and HGTV. We do belong to the Bryn Mawr Film Institute, which offers interesting things that don't get shown at the cineplexes. . .

We did recently see there a film I completely adored: I Am Love It was one of those rare movies that had me at the first image, and held me tight until the credits finished rolling. It's lush and gorgeous visually and provides the kind of voyeurism into how the rich, foreign and beautiful people live that underlay my (adolescent) love for movies (think Titanic), but is written and directed in a way that speaks to my adult Film Buff(The Sorrow and the Pity). It's intelligent, complicated and sexy, and even though I agreed with Harry on the way home that several of the actions that turn the plot were not believably motivated (one character, when (gently) informed of his mother's infidelity with his friend, falls and fatally cracks his skull) it had nothing to do with the experience of watching it. I didn't even think "Oh, sure!" until it was over.

I don't think Harry liked it as much as I did, but both of us want to see it again.

1 comment:

  1. Actually I liked it quite a lot but the ending felt a bit forced. I would have no problem watching "I am Love" a second time especially for the terrific visuals and storytelling, and amazing acting. I often like a watching a film at least twice before I can fully judge it, or even absorb the film in one setting. The more brilliant the film, the more believe it's true

    ReplyDelete