Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sally's Knee - Posted by Harry

I like Sally's knee, just as I like all of Sally's body parts, however the knee has been giving her trouble for some time. She has difficulty walking or being on her feet for too long a time, and obviously climbing up and down the 3 sets of stairs in our house causes pain and problems, especially if any of those stairs are being used to carry laundry or furniture. Originally Sally had problems with her hip but the knee has superseded the hip problem and may have even contributed to the hip problem.

Sally saw the doctor last week and he is starting her on a topical pain medication and anti-inflammatory, and she will be starting physical therapy. The doctor's diagnosis was encouraging because Sally may not need knee (need knee?) surgery, which she wasn't looking forward to in the first place. We still don't know for sure, and we don't know how it will all work out with co-pays because of my health insurance. Sally'll be seeing a PT on Thursday. I don't want to see her have to go through the ordeal of surgery, and would love it if we could take walks together again. :)


I'm pretty okay with aging except for physical discomfort (ask Sally -- she doesn't complain, I do) some of which may result from my belonging to the male of the species and not having experienced childbirth. But physical discomfort seems to come with the latter-part-of-my-50s territory, and maybe I should get used to it. After all, I have a good lifestyle, I exercise regularly and eat pretty well and I'm rarely sick --- be thankful for your blessings. But as I'm typing this post, I have an excruciating pain in my upper arm and shoulder, a pain that is periodic and the cause of which I've never been able to determine. It comes and goes as they say. I hear 60 is the new 40. So 58 must be the new 55! (I don't mind revealing my age, it may have been mentioned in an earlier post).

Looking forward to Sally feeling well and with a healthy knee......


2 comments:

  1. This is all really interesting to me! What, exactly, was her diagnosis? If you've read my blog for long, you know I have been posting about my knee problems and knee injections. It is very bad, and a couple weeks ago, I got stuck and could not get up at all. I have had many treatments. Trying to avoid surgery, of course...there are many more options then Sally is doing, so it should be a long time before surgery, if her problem is osteo arthritis? There is a set of three shots, one a week, that is artificial lubricant, they can work brilliantly, you can e-mail me if you want to talk. It sounds like you have a torn rotator cuff. I have a complete tear in mine. Again, trying to avoid surgery. A lot of people our age get these tears without any precipitating incident or accident, and don't even know when it happened. If your shoulder wakes you up with pain when you sleep on it, that is a big tip off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just stopping by to say thank you for your very nice comment you left on my blog. I very much appreciate that you read it. I am afraid I have not been doing such a good job of keeping up with it lately. Some days it seems like I just wake up and start on the good old "To Do" list. Before I know it the clock says 11pm and I am wondering where did the day go again!

    Sorry to hear Sally is having pain in her knee. I struggle with back pain off and on and I know how pain can really start to get a person down. I hope you both can find some answers and pain relief soon!

    ReplyDelete