Saturday, October 16, 2010

Re-Entry

A death in your family-friend orbit is complicated and multidimensional as you share the experience with the people impacted. Each has a different role, a different level of maturity, a different relationship to you and of course to all the other people you have relationships with. In the case of my friend K's recent loss of her husband to cancer I found myself experiencing it in several ways. First, there was anguish for my friend, to lose her mate and best friend, after struggling so valiantly. There was also an element of "how unfair of the universe" which I realize is probably always at the heart of dealing with death. Maybe not if the person is ninety seven and dies in his sleep, but this was not the case here. K's husband was 57, (Harry's age!) and had been a healthy, practical person, a dedicated teacher, father, husband. Together he and K seem to have done everything right. A mutual friend said, just before the death, "if ever anyone deserved a miracle, it's K " and I agree. And any death, but especially one close to you, reminds you or your own inevitable death. This time, for me; there was also the thought of losing Harry. Finally there was my younger daughter - her best friend's father; someone who'd been a surrogate dad in many ways when she was younger. Her best friend dealing with the loss of a parent at far too young an age. And of course, the realization that she will one day lose her own parents. . . added to this was the knowledge that she (my daughter) had struggled with depression in her last year of HS and was adapting to a major change (life at college, far away.)

It's been some weeks now, and life has resumed for everyone. That too, is sad. I found the funeral card yesterday, under a pile of mail near the front door. The smiling photograph of K's husband. I won't see that smile again.

2 comments:

  1. Did you really post this on the 16th? If so, is it just showing up now? Because it has just today turned up on my sidebar blog list! And this has happened with you more than once, but only you. I wonder what is happening? I am so sorry about this death of a relatively young friend! I know your daughter must be having a really hard time! This life is not fair, that's for sure. But eternally and after life, it evens out and God is just and fair. Blessings to you, your daughter, and the bereaved family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny,

    I posted this on the 20th or the 21st. . .don't know why it's dated the 16th. I think maybe I started writing it then, and saved it to finish? Probably I did something dumb. Still trying to get this blogging thing organized.


    Thanks for your kind words and blessings. We are all getting on with it; no one more energetically than my daughter. I am so lifted up by her youthful optimism, and by your caring words. And your pictures!

    Still working on that, for my own blog (s) At least I have a camera now.


    Sally, aka Marnie

    ReplyDelete