Friday, October 29, 2010

End of October (almost)

This month has been a challenging month and there were many things going on, but as the temperatures drop and the light softens by late afternoon I realize how much I love this time of year --- the mood, the atmosphere, jacket weather.....

A good friend once remarked to me some time ago that, after her father had passed in early October, she'd been unable to find any joy in Halloween because she did not want to be reminded of death, not after such a recent loss. I had understood. Sally and I also experienced a loss earlier in the month. I'm sure the month changed course as a result, though I'm not sure in what way, but last Monday was Sally's oldest daughter's birthday. I will let her talk more about that, but it was a beautiful night to be with her family and friends, and in-laws, and maybe even her ex! The house felt warm and friendly, and we enjoyed a mac-and-cheese bake off!

I will help Sally with the music links and..... we found her camera! So maybe we can post a pic or too. Nothing to report on the movie front, except for "The Social Network" which we saw about 10 days ago. I was psyched for the Phillies to make it to and win the World Series, but alas this wasn't 2008.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you've had a lot of things going on! But where did you find the camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fall has always been my favorite season. It's one of the things I miss the most about living in the deep south. It's always been a time to contemplate death and loss for me, and Halloween was sort of spitting in the face of the inevitable. But sometimes it hits too close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the camera under the passenger seat of my car!

    I too love fall, but have really mixed feelings about it. Death and loss; yes, but it's also the beginning of winter (death) and then Halloween is such a mish-mash of death and frivolity. it takes me until February (the time change is also difficult) to recover from the dichotomy.

    Chris, how was Halloween in the deepsouth different?

    ReplyDelete