Wednesday, September 30, 2009

When The Dust Settles. . .

"When The Dust Settles" was kind of a jokey catch phrase for Harry and me, all that first year. . .

The first year began at a Starbucks and ended with me trying to downsize my 20+years-worth of belongings & general effects such that I could fit me and my stuff into Harry's suburban South Jersey house - which he thought wouldn't sell until the housing bubble or whatever it was resolved. In fact, he got an offer that actually proceeded to a sale six weeks after I moved in. So THEN we had to do it again; downsize HARRY's 20+ years of stuff, to move to the house we live in now.

All this time, we kept saying to one another things like "I'd really like to go back to Greece with you WHEN THE DUST SETTLES. Maybe we can go to Paris together WHEN THE DUST SETTLES. . .

The DUST in question? His unsold (and maybe unsellable) house, my lack of a job, (both) our kids various struggles with college adulthood and beyond; general financial and personal issues that kept us tied to where we were at the time...

Now we can't say "as soon as the dust settles" without one or the other of us breaking down in hilarity.

Clearly the dust is with us always.

(Posted by Sally)

No comments:

Post a Comment