Monday, August 30, 2010

God

NPR, or more precisely the NPR website, is currently my favorite time-waster. Shouldn't call it a time WASTER, really, because the effects on my general educational/informational/ability-to-KILL-at-the cocktail-party-banter are HUGE. (and I do appreciate this.) But it's not an educational impulse driving this urge to click. I go there whenever I am not so much enjoying whatever it is I am doing, and want a short, clandestine break. There is ALWAYS something brilliantly diverting, or funny, or just incredibly useful in the what-can-I-make-for-dinner tonight vein. And sometimes it is uncategoriazable, as witness:

Usually, I would just forward the link to Harry. I know he enjoys when I do this, and I enjoy sharing things with him electronically. I do eventually get a reply, it's always smart and funny, unless the link has lapsed/disappeared for some reason, probably having to do with the length of time between when I sent it and he opened it. . . (The internet is SO impatient! )

My sweet Boyo is not the plugged-in Dude he presents as. By which I mean he checks his email the way we all used to check our (now-called) snail mail - whenever we got around to it, and without much enthusiasm. . . NOT every minute on the minute the way some of our younger colleagues do. . .but anyway tonight my internet access is dragging, (Harry? WTF??) and I thought (since I am ALSO way overdue for a post here) I would share this with you-all: THE INTERNET.

Anyway, God. I think this post is so intelligent and at the same time so - I don't know, blinkered? Anyway I found it smart and bizarre at the same time. We conceived of spirituality/godhead just so we could have a cop? I don't find this compelling. Isn't spirituality more crucial and functional than this? I do admire people who have the patience and discipline to DO RESEARCH but sometimes the results confound me. Partly this is X-related; partly due to my own very anti-intellectual approach to LIFE.

And all.

(Posted by Sally)

4 comments:

  1. Well, as a Christian, this doesn't surprise me at all. Have you heard of the author Stephen Collins? He is a famous scientist who wrote a book on how God and science can happily co-exist, one proves the other. And yes, we can have evolution and God both. There is a longing in the human heart that nothing material can satisfy, my husband has heard that it takes much more faith to be an athiest than to be a Christian! I could go on, but anyway...just my two cents worth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny,
    (I don't know if this is the way to reply to you or not, but as there aren't all that many of us who read this blog, let alone the comments, I guess it can work)
    I haven't read Stephen Collins, but I know lots of brilliant scientists (Einstein)have been deeply religious, so the so-called conflict between science and faith isn't very useful, I think.
    What I find so strange about the article I posted was how it completely ignores spirituality while talking about how religion(s) was important to humans as a species. . .like talking about, say, cars and limiting the discourse to how they allow us to travel so fast, while ignoring the many ways in which automotive technology has shaped our world.

    I think the longing in the heart you mention is much closer to the mark, actually. I think we're spiritual beings, and the reason religion is and has been important to us is that it seeks to address/satisfy that side of our nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Article reminded me of the Dostoyevsky quote "if God is dead then everything is permitted." think it's from The Brothers Karamazov but may have been paraphrasing Nietzsche I'd have to research :)

    ReplyDelete