Saturday, November 13, 2010

Thanksgiving Plans

Harry and I are going to do it ALL this Thanksgiving.

He and his ex take turns having their children for T'day; this year it's his turn so he and I (well, he. I have never roasted a turkey in my life) will make a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for his three grown children and their significant others (one of whom has become vegetarian in the past year, but I'm sorry there will be no Terducken) at our house. My grown-up daughters, who will be dinner hopping, will grace us with their presence for dessert.
Then in the evening Harry and I will repair to my traditional Thanksgiving venue; a moving affair of old friends (and serious foodies) to which I have belonged for almost thirty years.
I will make my signature Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts for 12 (at home) and 23 (at the Foodies.') We will probably serve jellied cranberry goop for the kids' dinner because it's "traditional" but I will draw the line at that "salad" involving miniature marshmallows and Reddi-Whip.
I will be keeping my fingers crossed there will be Brie en Croute and stuffed grape leaves (both traditional hors d'oeures for the foodies) left by the time we get there.
Somewhere in there Harry will have to get his football in. At home, because at the foodies one of the cardinal rules (akin to "there will be turkey") is "NO FOOTBALL."

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully busy and satisfying thanksgiving you will have!! Awww, how about just a little marshmellows and Reddi-Wip? Me too on the turkey!! I've never roasted, one and am old enough now to have a good excuse. Hopefully DIL will do it this year. I'll bring salad or dessert or bread, something easy that I don't have to spend all day at. Hope you have a great one! And wish I could taste the brussels sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun. Pack some Tums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginny: I will send you the Brussels Sprouts recipe if you want. It's really very good, even if my kids tend to pass it by. . .there's so much else to eat!

    Chris: Tums or not, we are having (at my behest) movie night on T'day: Starting w/ Babette's Feast, continuing with Tampopo and Big Night. . .Any other suggestions?

    Happy Thanksgiving to all!

    ReplyDelete