Friday, December 4, 2009

December 4: Posted by Harry

I met Sallie two years ago on this date, December 4. I remember the way she looked at me when I met her in a Starbucks on Broad Street in Philadelphia. There was warmth and kindness in her smile. I hadn’t been feeling well that day, but I somehow knew after a month of emailing and a phone conversation that I really needed to see her. We had postponed meeting over Thanksgiving because of Sally’s tradition of spending Thanksgiving with the orphans, but I’m extremely grateful we decided to meet when we did. Sally had mentioned in an email that if we didn’t meet by early December, then we would run the risk of missing one another due to the Christmas Holiday vortex. It’s all in the timing.

As it turned out, the month was surprisingly stress-free and one of the most beautiful I have ever experienced, and I’ve had many good Decembers, especially when my three kids were small---they were sometimes hard work, but emotionally rich and satisfying overall. But December two years ago, December of 2007, seemed to possess this seasonal magic, and I felt harmony and perfection with my now older kids and the blossoming of my love with Sally. Only one time during that month had I expressed a fear about getting behind on shopping or Christmas to-do’s, but everything fell into place so easily. Sally and I had several brilliant dates (including Atonement in Center City when we kissed goodbye on the sidewalk, and the wonderful weekend watching “The Parrots of Telegraph Hill”) and we spent the most tender, loving, Christmas Eve and part of Christmas Day together, as well as the last few days of the year, and the first day of the New Year.

So much has happened since then my mind reels if I try to absorb it all, try to conjure all the myriad moments of our love. There have been some hard times too, but I believe most of our arguments or issues, when addressed in a loving or honest way, have enabled us to grow. And we’ve had (and have) such great joy together. My prayer and wish for our third and subsequent years is that we stay healthy and enjoy our lives together while we can. I know we’ll keep on loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment