Thursday, December 31, 2009

MAKING TIME

Even before he mentioned it in his post I had noticed that Harry doesn't use a daybook or calendar or even (given that he is, after all, a tech geek) one of those electronic thingies that keep track of your life for you. I never thought about Harry's eschewing of calendars and the like in philosophical terms. If anything, Harry enjoys marking time (anniversaries, birthdays, other important markers) more than most people. He's the one who invented monthaversaries; he has a calendar in his head. He lies next to me in bed in the morning, while my eyes are still closed and I am still fighting the whole idea of waking up, cheerfully sharing his plans for the day:

"I'll make coffee, and we'll have breakfast, then we'll work on the puzzle for a while, and then I'll walk the dog and after that we will go shopping, then you're going to work at the store and by the way what would you like for dinner tonight?"

I think it's adorable, even if I can't exactly get behind it at minus 7 am, a hour when I am constitutionally unable to think about ANYTHING besides sleeping longer, or maybe having sex and THEN going back to sleep...after all somebody DOES have to make sure we eat, go to the occasional movie and see that the dog gets walked and all that. I mean, I can and do do my share of that, but certainly not before I've had coffee.

I love (although I don't always enjoy) that Harry thinks about, plans for and manages our life. Sometimes I have to fight the urge to snap at him when he asks me (at the aforementioned ungodly hour of 7 am on Saturday! If I want salmon or snapper for dinner that night, or if I'm leaving for work at 10 or 10:30, or which of the movies we've discussed I want to see the next night. But mostly I don't because I know it's all about Harry making sure we're going to be together.

Which I can, and do, get behind.

Happy 2010, darling Harry. I wish this post had more substance. Fluff is all my brain is up to these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment