Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Jobs, work, & etc

In the past year or so, I have had a series of jobs.

Perhaps I should clarify: This is Sally. Harry has had a real, continuing job ever since I have known him, and before. I know he doesn't always like it, especially in tax season, but it is nevertheless real, well-paid and Professional in a way that the recent efforts I have made, in the arena of work, do not begin to approach.

Let me count the ways: First, I worked for an automotive repair place; I was the bookkeeper and office manager. Mostly what I had to do was make sure the location managers - read: skilled mechanics and car guys - did not do anything stupid about settling the daily accounts. They never did, being much more skilled than I was...I gave this up (it was a part-time job) for a "career" in CITIZEN DIPLOMACY. . .. I thought it seemed like a nice idea. We sponsored trips, and activities aimed at making friends with foreign people (none of whom had (god knows!) any political positions. It was fun, there were parties; I liked it. The (very charming) director who hired me - changed her mind. It was not so much - you; maybe what we need is more - I don't know- something else- perhaps our lovely Polish intern who is leaving to have a child-no? Not? Someone else then?

Thanks but no thanks.

After that, there was the non-profit (& much hope I had of this, as it actually related to my work background) - that "provided services to the disabled." They offered me a position case managing OR (Occupational Rehabilitation) clients.

I took it eagerly, a professional job; one I was actually qualified for:

But the director (or whatever she was) never wanted me there. I think ( who knows?) she was pressured to hire me, I do know she did all she could do to sink me - - by January it was all over.

(Screw you, Shirley Watson!!!)

Now I work for a pair of charming and (very very young!) boyos who are wino importers. I'm learning about Italian wines - fun!

I have left out many other jobs.

I don't really have the heart to explain. Another time, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment